What should I ask my doctor about a procedure?
You should always be sure to ask your healthcare provider why you should have a particular procedure, what the alternatives are, and what could happen if you choose not to have the procedure. Being your own best advocate and getting as much information as possible up front is an important part of the healthcare provider-patient relationship.
There are many questions you should ask your healthcare provider regarding any scheduled procedures. For a printable list, please click here.
- Are there any pre-procedure requirements?
- What is the recovery time?
- What does the procedure involve?
- How long will I be in the hospital/facility?
- What are the possible side effects?
- When can I resume normal activities?
- Will I need another person to help me at home?
- What is the next step after surgery?
- Follow-up visits
- Home care
- Rehabilitation center/specialty home
Didn't find what you needed? Give us feedback.