How do I access my immunization records?

You and your provider can reference your immunization record, which provides a history of the vaccines you have received as a child and as an adult.

Unfortunately, there is no central place where all immunization records are kept. The best sources for this information are the healthcare providers or clinics that administered your vaccines, but keep in mind those records may only be kept for a few years.

If you need official copies of these records, or if you need to update your personal records, the CDC suggests taking the following steps:

  • Ask parents or other caregivers if they have your childhood immunization records.
  • Try looking through baby books or other saved documents from your childhood.
  • Check with your high school and/or college health services for dates of any required immunizations. Remember, records are generally kept for only one to two years after students leave the system.
  • Check with previous employers (including the military) that may have required immunizations.
  • Check with your healthcare provider or public health clinic. Keep in mind that vaccination records are maintained at doctor’s offices for a limited number of years.
  • Contact your state’s health department. Some states have registries (Immunization Information Systems) that include records of vaccines you may have received as an adult.

If you cannot locate any record of vaccines, you should talk to your doctor about whether there is a need to get the vaccines again. Your doctor can do blood tests to find out where you have immunity to certain vaccine-preventable diseases. If immunity is not clear, in most cases it is safe to repeat vaccinations. Just be sure to check with your doctor first.